( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
This seared tuna is something a little extra special for Christmas entertaining. Luxurious, tasty and decadent, the Asian flavours are a perfectly fresh way to start the meal. Sear it on all sides very quickly, cool, then slice very thinly. A little will go a long way to feed a larger group. The tasty ginger, tamarind, coriander and peanut topping is a taste sensation.
For the tuna
For the topping
|1 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|2 Tbsp||Tamarind paste|
|1 Tbsp||Grated ginger|
|1 cup||Chopped coriander|
|1 cup||Toasted peanuts, chopped|
|1||Lime, use the zest and juice only|
|½||Chilli, chopped finely|
For the sauce
- Rub the tuna with oil. Place the spice, coriander and salt on a piece of baking paper, then roll tuna in the spice mix.
- Heat a barbecue hotplate to high. Sear the tuna on all sides for 30 seconds. Remove and cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the topping combine the sugar, tamarind, ginger, coriander, peanuts, lime, chilli and salt.
- Combine the mayonnaise and soy sauce.
- Slice the tuna thinly and serve with topping and a dollop of soy mayonnaise.