Festive pumpkin pie
( SERVES 6 )
Can be frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge, then garnish.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Lightly grease an 18cm round pie dish with 6cm deep sides.
- Place the flour, salt, butter and icing sugar in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. With the motor running, add the egg. When the mixture forms a ball, remove, wrap in plastic film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, microwave or bake the pumpkin, until tender. Keep it as dry as possible.
- Roll out the chilled pastry to form a 30cm disc. Line the pie dish with the pastry and trim the edges. Pat a sheet of foil over the pastry ensuring all the pastry is covered. Weigh down with pastry weights, if preferred. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash the pumpkin well. Sieve if required. Measure 1 cup of the mash.
- Whisk the cooled pumpkin, condensed milk, eggs, mixed spice and salt in a large bowl, until smooth. Pour into the crust.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C and bake for 35-40 minutes until a knife inserted 3cm from the edge comes out clean. When cool the centre will firm up. Chill in the fridge.
- Great garnished with coarsely chopped meringues and fresh berries.
More of Jan's make-ahead festive desserts