Spiced rhubarb and custard muffins
( MAKES 12 regular muffins )
Photo by Tam West
I have a sweet tooth and love this rhubarb and custard combo. The hazelnuts can be replaced with almonds or walnuts.
- Heat oven to 180C. Place 12 paper muffin cases into a muffin tray and lightly grease with baking spray.
- In a small saucepan mix the custard powder, caster sugar, milk and vanilla. Bring to the boil, whisking all the time. Continue to whisk for 2 minutes. Tip out into a bowl and allow to cool.
- Mix chopped rhubarb, sugar and mixed spice together in a medium size bowl.
- Whisk together yoghurt, egg and melted butter, add to rhubarb then add in the flour. Stir together until just combined, do not over mix.
- Spoon mixture to half fill muffin cases. Make a small indentation then spoon in cool custard. Top with remaining muffin mix.
- Mix together raw sugar and chopped nuts, sprinkle over top of muffins. Bake for 20–25 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little then place onto a wire cooling rack. When completely cool, store in an airtight container.