Saffron pears with crumble
( SERVES 6 )
Any left-over crumble can be frozen.
For the crumble
|1 cup||Plain flour|
|100 g||Butter, chilled, diced|
|½ cup||Desiccated coconut|
|100 g||Sliced almonds|
For the pears
- To make the crumble, preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a roasting pan.
- Place the flour and butter in a food processor and mix until well crumbled. Tip into a bowl and add the coconut, sugar and almonds. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture in the roasting pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden, stirring often. Cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Makes about 4 cups. Keep any extra crumble in the freezer.
- Pour the boiling water over the saffron in a bowl and stand for 5 minutes. Peel the pears but leave whole. Combine the cup of water with the sugar, lemon rind and juice in a small deep saucepan, just large enough to hold the pears. Bring to the boil and add the saffron and water. Add the pears and poach for about 8 minutes until just cooked.
- Serve each pear warm or at room temperature in a bowl sprinkled with the syrup and topped with crumble.
More of Jan's winter desserts