Potato, leek and kale gratin with smoked provolone
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Vanessa Lewis
This dish is rich and comforting and I promise will warm you up as well as getting your taste buds going. Use any smoked cheese if you don't have provolone.
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 bunch||Kale, deveined|
|1 large||Leek, white and green thinly sliced|
|1½ kgs||Agria potatoes, peeled|
|2 Tbsp||Italian seasoning|
|2 Tbsp||Olive pesto, or ¼ cup black pitted olives, blitzed to a paste|
|1 tsp||Herb salt|
|150 g||Smoked provolone cheese, grated (or any smoked cheese)|
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and cook the kale until pliable. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Add the leek and cook, continually stirring until soft, being careful not to brown. This takes about 5 minutes.
- In a pot bring the cream, Italian seasoning, olive paste and butter together then season with herb salt.
- Slice potatoes on a mandolin.
- Layer all the ingredients into a baking dish. Start with the potatoes, then scatter the kale, leeks and cheese between layers, ensuring some cheese remains for the last layer after the cream mixture is evenly poured over.
- Cover and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or till cooked through.
Also try Simon's savoury pork chops with pear and sage crumble