Banana and coconut bread and butter pudding with hokey pokey icecream
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
It goes without saying that hokey pokey icecream is a Kiwi favourite and excellent for melting over a Pacific-flavoured banana and coconut bread and butter pudding.
- Heat the oven to 190C.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla and coconut milk well. Reserve.
- Brush the bread slices with plenty of melted butter. Put half of them, butter side down, side by side, into an ovenproof dish (I use one 26cm diameter). Spread the bananas, coconut and zest evenly on top. Put remaining bread slices, butter side up, side by side, on top.
- Pour the coconut milk mixture evenly over everything. Push down on the pudding with the flat of your hand and let it spring back so the bread soaks up the liquid and let stand for 10 minutes to continue soaking.
- Sprinkle the top generously with more raw sugar and some more coconut. Place in the oven for 45 minutes or until puffed up and well set.
- Serve with scoops of hokey pokey icecream.
More of Ray's Kiwi favourites