Viv’s orange muffins
( MAKES 12 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
I asked my mother, Viv, what she would like and her idea of a treat would be freshly baked muffins with lashings of butter. I know these quick, simple orange and cinnamon versions are one of her favourites. They involve whizzing whole oranges to a pulp and balancing the flavour with some subtle cinnamon. And, says Viv, they always taste better when shared with friends and family.
|2 medium||Oranges, roughly chopped|
|25 g||Melted butter|
|½ cup||White sugar|
|1½ cups||Self raising flour|
For the topping
- Preheat an oven to 180C. Grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Remove any pips from the oranges and place into a kitchen processor. Whizz until well pulverised.
- Add the egg, melted butter and sugar, whizzing again.
- Place into a bowl and gently stir through the flour, cinnamon and milk. Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin tins.
- Combine the topping in a cup and sprinkle a bit on the top of each muffin. Place into the oven for 20 minutes until just set and soft and bouncy to touch.
- Cool in the tins for easy removal.
More of Angela's Mother's Day recipes