Yoghurt chicken pitas
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
The yoghurt seems to keep the chicken moist and gives it a lemony flavour, not to mention being delicious.
For the pitas
For the yoghurt sauce
- Heat the oven to 200C. Line a large ovenproof tray with baking paper
- Using kitchen shears, cut down each side of the chicken’s backbone (freeze the backbone for making stock). Cut through the breast cartilage and open the chicken out flat. Place the chicken, skin-side-up on the paper-lined tray.
- Mix the yoghurt, garlic, lemon peel, oregano and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper. Spread this over the chicken skin and place in the oven for 45 minutes or until the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the thighs. Remove from the oven. Carve the chicken and place on a warm serving platter.
- Serve with the pitas, cucumber, tomato, olives and coriander, drizzled with a little oil, on another platter and the following sauce. Eat the chicken and vegetables with the pitas and sauce, or stuff the pitas with a bit of everything.
To make the yoghurt sauce
- Put everything into a small bowl, taste, season with salt and serve.
More simple summer dinners from Ray McVinnie