Mum's traditional Christmas cake
This rich cake keeps well for several months when wrapped in foil and stored in a cool place.
- Place the fruit in a large bowl. Add the orange juice and mix well. Cover and stand for several hours.
- Line a deep 20-23cm round cake pan with two layers of baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- Cream the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Add the lemon rind, vanilla essence and marmalade. Beat well.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a little of the flour. Fold in the mixed fruits alternately with the sifted dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour into the cake pan. Smooth over the top with a wet hand or rubber spatula. Bake for about 2½-3 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Start testing after 2½ hours cooking. Remove the cake from the oven, cool, remove the baking paper and wrap in foil to store.
More festive baking from Jan