Gerard's ravioli with cashew nut ricotta
( SERVES 6 )
Based on a recipe developed for World Vegan Day on 1 November by Gerard O’Keefe, the Heritage Auckland’s exec chef. Gerard makes his own pasta using 1 cup roasted pumpkin purée and 3 cups of high grade flour. You can use commercially-prepared pasta sheets but choose thin sheets or roll out thinly.
For the filling
|1½ cups||Raw cashew nuts|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1||Garlic clove, crushed|
|1 tsp||Onion powder|
|1 pinch||Salt and pepper|
|2 cups||Pumpkin, diced and roasted|
For the sauce and garnish
|1 tsp||Saffron threads|
|2 Tbsp||Boiling water|
|1||Lemon, finely grated rind only|
|¼ cup||Sage, small leaves|
|70 g||Hazelnuts, roasted, peeled and coarsely chopped|
For the pasta
- Soak the cashew nuts in enough water to cover for a few hours. Drain and purée in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Add the lemon juice, garlic and onion powder then season well. Purée the pumpkin separately.
- Soak the saffron in the boiling water for 5 minutes. Melt the Olivani and add the lemon rind, saffron and sage leaves.
- Dust the bench lightly with flour. Lay one strip of pasta on the bench and place teaspoons of the cashew nut ricotta on the pasta about 8-10cm apart. Place a teaspoon of the roast pumpkin purée next to it. Season well.
- Lightly brush a little water around each pile of filling. Lay a second strip of pasta over the top, pressing down around the filling and removing the air pockets. Use a cutter to make your preferred pasta shape.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a gentle boil. Cook the pasta gently in batches for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Serve topped with the sauce and chopped hazelnuts.
More pasta from Jan