Ham and egg salad
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Tam West
The title is prosaic but the ham is prosciutto and the eggs soft boiled so the yolks enrich the dressing. This is a fresh-tasting warm salad of new potatoes, spring vegetables, soft boiled eggs, prosciutto, black olives and herbs with a dressing of extra virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar.
|400 g||New potatoes, small, well scrubbed, halved|
|200 g||Beans, stalk ends cut off|
|250 g||Sweet stem broccoli, stalk ends trimmed, broccoli halved at the stalks|
|1 cup||Peas, frozen are fine|
|2 handfuls||Baby cos lettuce leaves|
|6 slices||Prosciutto, paper thin, halved|
|½ cup||Kalamata olives, pitted|
|4 Tbsp||Extra virgin olive oil|
|3 Tbsp||White wine vinegar|
|1 sprinkle||Basil leaves, for serving|
|1 sprinkle||Mint leaves, for serving|
- Put the eggs in a saucepan and cover well with cold water. Bring to the boil and boil gently for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and place under a running cold tap until completely cold. Carefully peel and reserve.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted water and bring to the boil. Boil gently for 10 minutes or until tender.
- When the potatoes are cooked, add the beans, broccoli and peas and continue to boil 3 minutes. Drain everything well.
- Place the cos leaves on a shallow serving platter. Place the warm vegetables on top. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the prosciutto and olives. Slice each of the eggs into 4, holding each over the salad as you do it to catch any yolk.
- Mix the oil and vinegar, taste and season. Drizzle this over everything.
- Sprinkle basil and mint leaves on top and serve.
More fresh springtime recipes from Ray