( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
This Sunday crack open a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Brut NV and make like you’re in Queenstown enjoying a Veuve Clicquot In The Snow long lunch at Rata restaurant. Josh Emett paired the non-vintage brut with Hamachi kingfish crudo, ora king salmon caviar, horseradish cream and fennel as the first of a four-course lunch and we loved it.
We think Dad would love it too and have asked Josh to share the recipe with us. Serve it as a snack or as the first course of a meal.
For the soy mirin dressing
|45 g||Soy sauce|
|15 g||Rice bran oil|
|5 g||Rice vinegar|
|1||Garlic clove, crushed|
|1 small knob||Ginger, crushed|
For the horseradish cream and fish
- Mix all soy mirin dressing ingredients together and leave to infuse. Strain off the ginger and garlic before using.
- Whisk all horseradish cream ingredients together and season with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
- Arrange 5-6 nice slices of the kingfish on a 20cm plate or bowl. Season with sea salt flakes.
- Pipe a small amount (½ tsp) of the horseradish cream on each piece of fish. Add 3 or 4 salmon caviar eggs to the top of the horseradish cream. Then place a small fennel frond on top of the eggs.
- Dress the dish with a nice amount of soy mirin dressing, then a small drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately.