Mini pear and ginger tarts with caramel
( MAKES 9 )
Photo by Doug Sherring
For the caramel sauce
For the pears and ginger cream
|2 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|½ tsp||Vanilla extract|
|½ tsp||Ground ginger|
To make the caramel sauce
- Mix the sugar, cream, butter, and salt in a small saucepan on medium heat. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the vanilla and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. The sauce will thicken as it cools, and will keep in the fridge for about a week.
To poach the pears
- Peel and core the pears and cut into quarters. Place in small saucepan and cover with about 2 cups water, add the cinnamon stick and the sugar. Gently poach for about 20-25 minutes, until soft, then set aside until ready to use. The fruit will keep for a few days in a container in the fridge.
To make the ginger cream
- Beat 200ml cream, ½ tsp vanilla extract, ½ tsp ground ginger and ¼ tsp cinnamon together in a small bowl until soft peaks form.
- Take the tart shells, and add 1 tsp caramel sauce. Add chunks of poached pear, then drizzle over a little more caramel sauce. Place a spoonful of cream on top and serve immediately.
If you liked this recipe, try Delaney's easy apricot galette