Almond and rhubarb tart
( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
Try this rhubarb and almond tart, which is wonderful with a cup of tea mid-afternoon, and perfect to perk one up, especially on these chilly wet days. A dab of lightly whipped cream on the side is a must. A little of this will go a long way, although it is not overly sweet.
For the pastry
For the filling
- Preheat an oven to 180C.
- To make the pastry, place the flour, brown sugar and butter into a food processor. Blitz until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and blitz until a dough forms. Roll on a lightly floured bench to fit a 23cm tart tin. Bake blind with rice for 10 minutes, then remove the paper and rice. Bake for a further 5 minutes to dry out the base.
- For the filling place the almonds and ground almonds into a food processor and blitz.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the vanilla and eggs beating for 2 minutes. Fold in the almond mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup rhubarb onto the tart base. Spread over the almond mixture.
- Layer the remaining rhubarb and sprinkle over the slivered almonds. Brush with a little melted butter. Bake for 30 minutes until just set.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.
More from Angela Casley