Smoked hock, carrot & kale broth
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tam West
Pea and ham is a firm family favourite in our house and has been for generations. This version is a bit more textural and I like the tomato/ham combo, and the fresh healthy kale (use any leafy greens here) to fold through at the end. The baby peas are there out of respect for the classic.
- In a large pot heat oil then fry onion for 4 minutes without colouring, add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Place ham hock in the pot, add water, tomatoes, celery and carrot. Cover, bring to the boil then turn down to simmer for 50-60 minutes or until meat pulls away easily from the bone.
- Remove ham hock and cool on the side. Add macaroni elbows, stir gently from time to time until macaroni is almost cooked.
- Meanwhile remove skin from the hock and discard. Pull all the meat off the bone and shred into strips.
- Add meat back to the soup with kale, peas and herbs. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Ladle into hot soup bowls and serve with warmed crispy baguette or your favourite bread.
More warm, nourishing soups from Geoff