( SERVES 10 )
Photo by Tam West
This is a garden-based, vegetarian pizza “tart”, served cold and ready to go. Any additions (including meats and seafood) can be arranged on top but what I like most about this pizza tart is the cooked and raw combination.
The pre-rolled pastry is very convenient. Take it straight from the freezer and the sheets will defrost quickly. Leftover sheets can be wrapped up for next time.
The pastry can be baked and the cream cheese base and toppings prepared in the morning. Simply build the pizza just before you leave home, cover and go.
|2||Puff pastry sheets, square, pre-rolled|
|½ cup||Cream cheese, bring to room temperature|
|¼ tsp||Crushed garlic|
|1 tsp||Lemon juice|
|2 tsp||Chives, finely sliced|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Red capsicum, diced 1cm|
|100 g||Green beans|
|1 cup||Broccoli florets|
|½ cup||Cherry tomatoes, sliced in half|
|1||Spring onion, sliced|
|1||Red chilli, finely sliced, optional|
|¼ cup||Parmesan cheese, shaved|
- Heat the oven to 220C. Join the two pieces of pastry together by over lapping them by 1cm then pressing the join firmly with a fork. Place on a flat baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and trim the pastry to fit the tray.
- Spike the pastry with the fork to make holes all over in a grid pattern (this allows the steam to escape as it bakes and helps to keep it flat). Bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Place the cream cheese in a medium bowl, add the garlic, cream, lemon juice and 1 tsp of the chives. Mix to form a smooth paste then season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- For the toppings, heat olive oil in a frying pan and cook capsicum with a pinch of salt on a medium heat for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Boil a pot of salted water, then cook beans and broccoli for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in iced water to stop the cooking and keep the green colour. Place on paper towels to dry. Slice beans on an angle and slice broccoli into thin pieces.
- To assemble, spread the cream cheese mix evenly over the base, scatter over the cherry tomatoes, red capsicum, beans and broccoli. Garnish with spring onion, chilli, parmesan and remaining chives.
More finger food from Geoff