( MAKES 30 )
Photo by Annabel Langbein Media
- Preheat oven to 160C fanbake and line 2 oven trays with baking paper for easy clean-up.
- Combine rolled oats, flour, coconut and sugar in a large bowl.
- Heat together golden syrup, butter and boiling water until butter melts.
- Stir in soda, then mix into dry ingredients until well combined.
- Roll mixture into balls slightly smaller than a golf ball and place on trays, allowing a little room for spreading.
- For biscuits that are crunchy on the outside but a little chewy inside, lightly flatten with a fork or damp fingers and bake for 20-25 minutes. For chunky, super-hard biscuits, bake for 30-35 minutes. For very crunchy thin biscuits, press dough very flat and bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool on the trays (they will harden on cooling) before transferring to an airtight container. They will keep fresh for several weeks.
More Anzac recipes from Annabel
Essential Annabel Langbein (Annabel Langbein Media, $65) is a beautiful compendium of Annabel’s best-ever savoury recipes and cooking tips — on sale at Paper Plus, Whitcoulls, The Warehouse and all good bookstores or visit annabel-langbein.com