( SERVES 4 )
A sweet showstopper. Use the leftover juice and seeds in a vinaigrette. Or flavour with orange liqueur and spoon over ice cream or fruit flans.
- Prepare the scoops of ice cream and freeze until rock solid.
- Halve the kiwanos crosswise. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Use a small sharp knife to cut any membrane attached to the shell.
- Cut the sponge into 3 cm squares. Place in the bases of the halved kiwanos. Sprinkle with the liqueur.
- Beat the egg whites, until fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, beating until it is dissolved and stiff peaks form.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Place a scoop of the frozen ice cream in the centre of each kiwano on the sponge. Spoon a little of the kiwano pulp around the ice cream. Pipe or smother the top with meringue. Grill for 2-3 minutes until the meringue is coloured. Serve immediately.
If you liked this recipe, try Jan's caramelised pear croissants