Dutch apple cake
( MAKES 23cm cake )
Photo by Tam West
Up the ante and serve this cake with vanilla-scented cream and this homemade apple sauce.
|1 cup||Caster sugar, a large one|
|1 tsp||Vanilla essence|
|1½ cups||High grade flour|
|1 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Baking soda|
|1 tsp||Apple spice mix, see recipe below, plus a little more mixed with caster sugar to sprinkle over top of cake|
|1 tsp||Cocoa powder|
|3||Apples, peeled and grated|
|1||Lemon, zested and juiced|
|150 g||Unsalted butter, melted and cooled|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Beat eggs, caster sugar and vanilla essence until voluminous and ribbony.
- Sift flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1 tsp apple spice mix (recipe below) and cocoa powder.
- Mix peeled and grated apple with the lemon zest and juice.
- In stages, fold the flour into the egg mix until just incorporated, followed by the apple and the melted and cooled butter.
- Pour evenly into a baking paper-lined 23cm ring tin, sprinkle the top with a little apple spice mixed with caster sugar and bake 35-40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin and serve with apple sauce and vanilla cream.
Apple spice mix
- Lightly toast 1 tsp each of cloves, cinnamon, allspice, mace or nutmeg and black peppercorns. Cool and blitz (in a spice mill or coffee grinder) until finely ground and store in a jar.
More of Warren's apple recipes