Yummy hot cross bun pudding
( SERVES 8 )
Portions can be reheated in the microwave.
- Lightly butter a deep 1.5 litre baking dish.
- Cut the buns in half. Spread with the butter then the jam. Sandwich the buns together. Place the buns in the dish, crosses facing up.
- Whisk the caster sugar and eggs together in a mixing bowl until well combined.
- Place the milk, cream, vanilla essence and star anise in a saucepan and bring to the boil on medium heat. Remove from the heat and pour onto the egg/sugar mixture and mix well. Strain through a sieve into a jug. Slowly pour over the buns. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to allow the buns to absorb the liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Place the baking dish in a large roasting pan. Pour boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the dish. Cover the dish with foil. Bake for 40 minutes and then remove the foil. Continue baking for a further 15-20 minutes until golden on top.
- Great served dusted with icing sugar and accompanied by whipped cream or ice cream.
More Easter recipes from Jan