Super tasty gougeres
( MAKES 30 )
Excellent cheese puff nibbles to serve with drinks.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine the water, butter and salt and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and form a lump. Set aside, without stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add an egg, mixing well until the mixture combines. Repeat with each egg. Mix in the mustard, cayenne and cheese. The dough will be loose and sticky.
- Place heaped teaspoons on the baking trays. The mounds should be about 2.5cm in diameter. Leave about 1.5cm between each gougere.
- Bake until puffy and golden, about 25 minutes, rotating the trays halfway through. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Alternatively, turn off the oven, open the door slightly and keep the gougeres warm for up to 1 hour.
More cheesy recipes from Jan