Berry and red wine tiramisu
( MAKES 1 tiramisu )
Photo by Tam West
My berry version of the Italian favourite. I couldn’t resist the berries at the market.
- Choose a deep dish, preferably rectangular, that will just fit in the biscuits side by side in a row.
- Put 600g of the berries in a mixing bowl and add 100g of the sugar. Mix well. Reserve the remaining berries for serving.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar until very pale, thick and creamy.
- Place the mascarpone and cream in another bowl and beat until thick, but not buttery.
- Fold the egg yolk mixture and the mascarpone mixture together.
- Place a layer of biscuits in the bottom of the dish in a row and spoon half the wine evenly over them. Place half the berry and sugar mixture in an even layer on top. Cover this with half of the mascarpone mixture. Repeat these layers and finish by sprinkling the almonds on top.
- Cover and place in the fridge for an hour, then serve in slices with a few of the reserved whole berries.
More recipes inspired by the Whangarei Grower's market