Fijian coconut cake
( SERVES 10 )
Photo by Tam West
The recipe for this cake comes from Cafe O in Nadi, Fiji.
For the cake
|125 g||Softened butter|
|1 cup||Caster sugar|
|1 cup||Sour cream|
|1½ cups||Self raising flour|
|½ cup||Desiccated coconut|
|½ cup||Full cream milk|
For the icing
|250 g||Cream cheese, softened|
|100 g||Butter, softened|
|2 cups||Icing sugar, sifted|
|1||Lemon, finely grated zest only|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
- Make the cake. Heat the oven to 160C. Line a 22cm or 23cm cake tin with baking paper or grease and lightly dust with flour.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Mix through the sour cream.
- Sift in the flour, then add the coconut. Fold through, adding the milk as you fold. Spoon into the prepared tin and place in the oven. Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, before turning out to cool on a wire rack.
- Make the icing. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add the icing sugar and beat until creamy. Add the lemon zest and juice and mix. Cover and place in the fridge to firm up if necessary.
- To serve. Cut the cake in half horizontally and place the bottom half on a serving plate. Spread with half of the icing. Place on the top half of the cake and spread with the remaining icing. Top with sliced pineapple, pawpaw or mango and grated fresh coconut.
More specialities from Cafe O