Roasted brussels sprouts with appelmoes
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- To make the appelmoes, peel, core and roughly chop the apples.
- Put in a saucepan with the sugar, water and lemon juice. Let simmer for 10 minutes then either puree or pass through a sieve.
- If using an egg to create a richer sauce, return the sauce to the pan, add a whisked egg and stir until the sauce has thickened slightly. Pour into a bowl and lightly sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
- To cook the sprouts, preheat the oven to 200C. Toss the sprouts in olive oil and season generously.
- Tip into a roasting dish and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until they feel slightly soft when given a gentle squeeze. Add the butter and toss again before serving warm with the appelmoes.