Strawberry cloud cake
( SERVES 10 )
Photo by Annabel Langbein Media
This dreamy frozen dessert is one of my most popular recipes. It's basically a frozen meringue with berries beaten into it, set on top of a crunchy biscuit base. It softens on defrosting so keep it in the freezer until just before serving. Be sure to have the beater spotlessly clean and don't let any egg yolk break into the mixture as the meringue won't beat properly if it has any fat in it.
- Line the base of a 26-28cm springform cake tin with baking paper or waxed paper.
- Make the base by putting the biscuits in a clean paper bag and crushing them into crumbs with a rolling pin. Transfer to a medium bowl, add the coconut, cinnamon and melted butter and stir well to combine. Alternatively, whizz them in a food processor then pulse in the coconut, cinnamon and butter. Press firmly into the base of the prepared tin. It doesn't need to be a thick layer - just enough to cover the bottom of the tin. Chill the base while you prepare the filling.
- To make the filling, place egg whites, sugar, sliced strawberries, lemon juice and vanilla in the clean, dry bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on high speed until the mixture is very thick and fluffy and the sugar has dissolved (6-8 minutes). To test whether it is ready, rub a little between your fingers - you should not feel any gritty sugar. If you do, beat a little longer.
- Spoon the filling over the chilled base (it should be so thick you have to push it into the corners of the tin), smooth the top, cover with a sheet of baking paper and freeze for at least 4 hours. It will keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month.
- To serve, remove from freezer and transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with fresh berries and serve immediately, cut into wedges using a knife that has been warmed in hot water.
More berry-based recipes from Annabel
For more great Annabel Langbein recipes see her new summer annual A Free Range Life: Celebrate Summer! (Annabel Langbein Media, $24.95) or visit annabel-langbein.com.