Buttermilk panna cotta
( SERVES 8 )
A variation of the traditional panna cotta recipe, and ‘oh’ so delish. Can be prepared up to two days ahead.
|¼ cup||Cold water|
|1¼ tsp||Powdered gelatine|
|1 pinch||Flaky sea salt|
|½||Vanilla bean, split open|
|1 cup||Creme fraiche|
- Place the cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatine on top. Soak for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Place the cream, sugar and salt in a large microwave bowl. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and add to the cream mixture together with the pod. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir well to dissolve the sugar. Continue microwaving for 1-2 minutes or until almost boiling.
- Add the gelatine and stir to dissolve. Cool. Discard the vanilla pod.
- Whisk in the buttermilk then the crème fraîche. Pour into 8 small jars or glasses that hold about 2/3 of a cup. Refrigerate to set, about 2 hours.
- Hull the berries. Purée one half in a blender. Sweeten with a little sugar or liqueur, if preferred. Top the desserts with berries then drizzle with a little of the purée. Garnish.
More creamy desserts from Jan