Coconut butterflied chicken with tropical sauce
( SERVES 4 )
Coconut and chardonnay marry well.
|1||Chicken, size 16|
|2½ Tbsp||Rice bran oil|
|1 pinch||Freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|1 cup||Thick coconut cream|
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly oil a small roasting pan.
- To butterfly the chicken, use a sharp knife with a strong blade and cut down one side of the backbone of the chicken — close to the bone. Flatten the chicken then cut down the other side of the backbone. Use this to make stock. You can also remove rib bones if you wish.
- Place the butterflied chicken in the roasting pan rib-side down. Brush with oil and season. Coat with the coconut cream.
- Roast for 1 hour or until tender and golden. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and rest for 5-10 minutes before carving
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce. Place the orange juice and ginger in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the pineapple, brown sugar, soy sauce and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Combine the water and cornflour to make a paste. Stir into the sauce and cook, stirring, until thickened.
- The chicken can be garnished with toasted coconut.
More roast meals from Jan