Eton mess with a twist
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
I’ve added a tropical theme to my version of Eton mess which means it can be served for brunch without too much guilt. The kiwifruit and pineapple help to create a welcome freshness.
- Soak the dates in boiling water for 10 minutes. Then drain, reserving the juice. Blend the dates until smooth adding a little juice to get a "dolloping" texture.
- In a frying pan toast the coconut until lightly browned. Reserve a few chips for garnish.
- In a large bowl combine the yoghurt, pineapple, kiwifruit, coconut and mash in the meringues.
- Gently fold through half the date puree.
- Spoon the mess into individual bowls, sprinkle with mint leaves and serve.
More Easter recipes from Angela