Dirty rice (easy rice risotto)
Photo by Tam West
Serve this rice risotto as is or use it to make tasty stuffed capsicums.
|1||Onion, finely chopped|
|2 stalks||Celery, finely chopped|
|1 large||Yellow capsicum, or a red onion, finely chopped|
|3 cloves||Garlic, crushed with 1 tsp salt|
|1 drizzle||Olive oil|
|1 knob||Butter, a large one for cooking mince|
|350 g||Beef mince|
|3||Sausages, meat squeezed from casings|
|1 tsp||Dry mixed herbs|
|1 tsp||Onion powder|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1 cup||Chicken stock, a large one|
|3||Bay leaves, fresh|
|3 cups||Cooked rice, chilled, you may not need it all|
|1 large handful||Chopped parsley|
- Finely chop onion, celery and capsicum.
- Crush garlic with 1 tsp salt in to a smooth paste. Gently fry all in a little olive oil until soft.
- Remove. Reheat pan with butter. Add mince and the sausage meat and cook over a high heat, stirring often to break up and brown evenly, approximately 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, return veges. Add dried herbs, paprika and onion powder and cayenne and fresh pepper. Cook, stirring, for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bay leaves and simmer.
- Add 2-3 cups chilled cooked rice and cook, stirring often, to heat rice and soak up stock.
- Remove from heat, stir in chopped parsley and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
More of Warren's beef mince recipes