Chargrilled caesar salad
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
When it comes to a caesar salad, nothing beats a homemade, punchy dressing. You will never want to buy it again. This recipe is so delicious I even use it as a dip for vegetables or prawns. Slightly charred lettuce brings a distinct flavour to the salad and transforms it into something more special.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|3||Anchovies, chopped finely|
|2 cloves||Garlic, crushed|
|1||Spring onion, chopped|
|1 serving||Freshly ground black pepper|
|1 tsp||Dijon mustard|
|¼ cup||Grated parmesan cheese|
|250 ml||Oil, flavourless|
- To make the dressing, heat the oil in a small frying pan along with the anchovies, garlic, spring onion and freshly ground pepper. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes until softened and aromatic. Remove and cool slightly.
- Into a kitchen processor place the egg yolks, mustard and anchovy mix. Blitz, then slowly add the oil until your dressing is thick. Add the parmesan and lemon juice. If a little thick, add a dash of warm water.
- To make the salad, heat a griddle pan or frying pan to a high heat. Char-grill the sides of the lettuce. Remove and cool.
- On a serving platter place the lettuce, chicken, croutons and parmesan cheese.
- Place the eggs into boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove, split in half and place among the salad. Drizzle over the dressing and serve.
See more of Angela's summer recipes