Ricotta, tomato and rocket tart
( SERVES 6 )
Over the years I’ve learned just how versatile polenta can be. Here, I’ve used it as an alternative to pastry for the base of a tart. Bake it blind until set, then top with your favourite fillings. For me, blue cheese is a must, along with ricotta, tomatoes and rocket. Another tasty combination is smoked salmon with dill, courgettes and herbs. The options are endless, and this tart is perfect to whip up as a quick lunch dish.
|2 cups||Stock, chicken or vegetable|
|½ cup||Grated parmesan cheese|
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place the stock, butter and salt in a large pot. Bring to a simmer then, whisking to prevent lumps, pour in polenta in a steady stream. When the mixture is thick, remove from heat and add parmesan.
- Spoon polenta into a lined 23cm tart tin. Bake for 20 minutes until set.
- For the filling, whisk eggs with ricotta, half the blue cheese, parmesan, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour into the polenta base.
- Cut tomatoes into slices and chunks and place on top of filling. Bake for 35 minutes or until filling is just set. Remove and cool slightly before removing from tin.
- Sprinkle over remaining blue cheese and rocket. Serve warm or cold.
See more of Angela's polenta recipes