Lemon gelato with caramelised mandarins
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- To make the gelato, reduce the lemon juice in a small saucepan until you have half of a cup, then add the sugar.
- Stir until it has dissolved then bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Beat the egg yolks and the zest with electric beaters until they are very pale and thick then pour the simmering liquid over the eggs while still beating. Continue until the mixture cools.
- Whip the cream and fold in. Either pour into a container and freeze or churn in an ice cream machine.
- Bring the water and second measure of sugar to a boil while stirring. Boil for 5 minutes then drop in the mandarin segments, swirl to make sure each is coated then remove from the heat.
- Take out of the syrup and let cool. Serve the gelato with a few mandarins on top.