( SERVES 4 )
This is a traditional Irish dish made from mashed potato with cabbage and bacon. Kale can be used in place of the cabbage.
- Make sure the mashed potato has been seasoned before forming into cakes. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, onion and bacon.
- Stir for 5 minutes until the onion is soft and the bacon crispy.
- Add the cabbage, stir then cover and let cook for 3-4 minutes, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Put the pan back on a medium heat, add the butter, wait for it to get hot, then add the potato cakes.
- Let them cook with out touching for 5 minutes or until crispy underneath then turn and repeat.
- Serve the cakes with the bacon and cabbage mixture piled on top, finish with chives and pepper.