Stewed peppers with pasta
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
- Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add onion and cook gently until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and chilli and cook for a further 1 minute. Add the peppers and tomatoes and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and cook over a low heat for 40 minutes until the peppers are soft and tender. There should be lots of liquid around the peppers but it's delicious over pasta.
- Serve tossed through cooked pasta and sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and some freshly grated parmesan.
- Remove skins from the tomatoes before cooking if you prefer, or they are easy to pick out once the dish has been cooked.
- Cook about 100g dried pasta per person (I used pappardelle), in lightly salted boiling water until al dente.