Lamb kebabs with courgette and butter bean salad
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
I've combined the wonderful flavour of barbecued lamb kebabs with one of my favourite summer salads. Butter beans are delicious, creamy and add substance to a salad. When unexpected visitors arrive, vegetables will help make the lamb in this simple recipe go a little further, while the no-fuss yoghurt dressing adds a fresh flavour.
|600 g||Lamb steaks, cut into 2cm cubes|
|1||Red pepper, cut into 2cm cubes|
|1 large||Red onion, peeled and cut into pieces|
|2 tsp||Olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Chopped rosemary|
|1 tsp||Brown sugar|
|2||Limes, zest and juice of|
|200 g||Green beans, blanched|
|1 cup||Butter beans|
|¼ cup||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley|
|1 Tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 cup||Natural yoghurt|
|1 cup||Chopped mint|
- On bamboo skewers (that have been soaked for 30 minutes in water), thread lamb, pepper and red onion alternately.
- In a small bowl mix oil, garlic, cumin, paprika, rosemary, sugar and lime. Massage into kebabs and set aside for 20-30 minutes to marinate.
- Set barbecue to a high heat.
- Cook skewers for 4 or 5 minutes each side until cooked through and nicely browned. Set aside to rest.
- Cook courgettes on hot plate for 4 or 5 minutes each side. Place courgettes in a bowl. Add green beans, butter beans, parsley, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Combine yoghurt, lemon and mint in a small bowl.
- Serve skewers on a platter with salad served alongside and yoghurt dolloped on top.