Grapefruit and martini granita
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
If you like grapefruit, this granita is for you. A splash of martini brings out the wow factor. Fresh and cold, it is perfect served between courses. If you're like me, I pick at it on a warm day from the freezer. If you've just mown the lawns and need something cold and refreshing it will hit the spot.
- Place sugar and water in a small pot. Bring to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Peel grapefruit, removing pith and skin. Cut out segments, remove pips and squeeze any juice that remains. Place juice, grapefruit and vermouth into a blender. Whizz until liquid and as smooth as possible.
- Add syrup to grapefruit and mix again. Pour into a tray and freeze overnight. Remove from freezer and blend again, then refreeze.
- Using a fork, scrape granita into fine shards and leave in freezer, covered, until ready to serve.
- Serve in small glasses or bowls.