Poached pears belle helene
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
- In a saucepan over medium heat put the water, sugar, cinnamon, lemon peel and cloves.
- Bring to a simmer and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Slice the bottom off the pears so they will sit flat.
- With the point of a paring knife, cut out the core then peel, retaining the stalks.
- Place the pears in the poaching liquid and very gently poach for approximately 30 minutes, carefully turning occasionally until the pears are tender and coloured.
- Leave to cool in the syrup.
- Serve with chocolate sauce made by heating the chocolate, cream and milk in a bowl over simmering water. When melted, stir to combine.