Almond honeycomb cupcakes
( MAKES 12 )
These almond cupcakes, decadently dressed with white chocolate cream cheese icing and crunchy honeycomb, come from Lyndey Milan's TV series, Baking Secrets.
|¾ cup||Almond meal|
|⅓ cup||Self raising flour|
|½ tsp||Sea salt flakes|
|¾ cup||Caster sugar|
|1 tsp||Vanilla paste|
|200 g||White chocolate|
|200 g||Cream cheese, softened|
- Heat the oven to 180C and line two 12-hole cupcake tins with paper cupcake liners. Sift almond meal, self-raising flour and salt into medium bowl.
- In a large bowl beat butter, caster sugar and vanilla bean paste to a cream. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Using a large metal spoon, fold in almond meal mixture. Spoon batter evenly into cupcake liners and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water and allow to cool slightly. Whip the cream cheese in a medium bowl until light and fluffy, add chocolate and continue to whip until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and whisk again until light and fluffy.
- For almond honeycomb, toast almonds in a small saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove. To the same saucepan, add sugar, honey and butter and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat and simmer, without stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Quickly stir through reserved toasted almonds with bicarb soda, vanilla and salt.
- Spoon on to a piece of baking paper and set aside to cool. When cool break or chop into small chunks.
- To serve, pipe a swirl of whipped white chocolate ganache onto each cupcake and top with a few chunks of almond honeycomb.