Crumbed fish and kumara chips
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
You can't go wrong with fish and chips. Wash and pat dry store-bought fish and remove any scales. Crumbing is a basic way of preparing it, but hard to beat, making it crispy yet juicy. Add a squeeze of lemon (or tomato sauce) and make a home-made tartare for the grown-ups.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cut fish into 10cm strips. Dust with flour. Whisk egg and season generously with salt and pepper. Add sesame seeds to breadcrumbs.
- Dip fish in egg, then breadcrumbs. Place on a plate and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Cut kumara into chips. Place on baking paper in an oven tray. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with herbs. Roast in oven for 40 minutes until golden and brown. Sprinkle with salt before serving.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a frying pan. Cook fish in batches for 4 or 5 minutes each side, depending on thickness of fillets.
- Serve hot from the pan with crunchy fries, tomato sauce and lemon wedges.