Photo by Babiche Martens
When it comes to making today's crumpets, you may want to consider doubling the recipe. When my mother used to make pikelets, they would be devoured as fast as they came out of the frying pan - plain or hot with butter and home-made plum jam. Makes 8
- Combine yeast and sugar. Heat water and milk until just above body temperature. Sprinkle over yeast and sugar and leave in a warm place for 10 minutes until frothy.
- Place flour and salt in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture and stir to combine to form a soft dough. Cover and place in a warm place for 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Combine second quantity of water and soda and stir vigorously through dough. Cover and leave for 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Heat a frying pan to a low heat. Spray a 9cm cookie cutter with oil and place into middle of frying pan. Fill with ½ cup of crumpet mixture. Cook for 4 or 5 minutes until bubbles appear and the edges are starting to set. Remove from ring and cook top for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with your favourite jam, golden syrup or grill with cheese and ham.