Thai-style fried rice
( SERVES 4 )
Deseed the chilli for a tamer version of this spicy rice. Add a cup of chopped cooked chicken or prawns for extra protein.
|1 cup||Red rice|
|2 cups||Water, cold|
|1 Tbsp||Rice bran oil|
|1||Red onion, halved and sliced|
|2||Garlic cloves, sliced|
|1||Red chilli, sliced|
|1 cup||Frozen peas|
|1 Tbsp||Soy sauce|
|1 Tbsp||Fish sauce, Thai|
|1 bunch||Coriander, roughly chopped|
- Wash the rice well under cold water. Place in a saucepan with the cold water. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer on low heat until cooked, about 30 minutes. Stand for 5 minutes then place in a sieve to drain and cool.
- Heat the oil in a wok. Add the onion, garlic and chilli. Cook until soft and golden. Add the rice and peas, stirring until very hot. Add the soy and fish sauces, then stir in the coriander.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs until just cooked. The yolks should be runny.
- Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a blender, mixing until well combined.
- Divide the fried rice mix between four bowls and top each with an egg. Scatter with extra coriander if preferred with the chilli sauce on the side.