Easy cheese souffle
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
There's nothing tricky about this clever recipe.
- Heat the oven to 190C. Butter a 6-cup capacity ovenproof dish well.
- Place the bread and milk in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to boiling point. Remove from the heat, add the butter and cheese and leave to melt, about 5 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, beat in the egg yolks and season with salt.
- In a large clean bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then using a large metal spoon fold a tablespoonful into the milk mixture to loosen it. Fold the remaining egg white through in a cutting and folding motion. Don’t over-fold, it doesn’t matter if some egg white is not completely folded through.
- Place in the prepared ovenproof dish, then run your thumb around the edge of the souffle mixture to help the souffle rise. Bake for 25 minutes without disturbing until well-risen and the top is brown. The souffle mixture should be just slightly runny in the centre, as it will continue to cook a little once removed from the oven.
- Serve immediately with a leafy green salad.
Make a change
- Tip in 1 tablespoon of freshly grated parmesan cheese to coat the sides and base of the dish, or coat using fine breadcrumbs.
- Try adding a little dijon mustard with the cheese for extra flavour.
- I like to grind black pepper over once plated, but add to the uncooked mixture if you prefer.