Chicken and shiitake filo
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
There was no way I could walk past the eye-catching shiitake mushrooms, they looked so luscious. Here I have made a favourite spinach, cottage cheese and mushroom filo. Often I will make individual parcels, but this is a large one that can be easily sliced.
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|300 g||Shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|125 g||Cottage cheese|
|50 g||Parmesan cheese, grated|
|¼ cup||Basil, chopped|
|300 g||Chicken, cooked, roughly chopped|
|1||Lemon, 1 tsp lemon zest|
|6 sheets||Filo pastry|
|15 g||Butter, melted|
|1||Egg, whisked, to glaze|
|1 to decorate||Sesame seeds|
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat oil in a frying pan to a medium heat. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 4 or 5 minutes until softened. Add spinach and allow to wilt. Remove and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl mix mushrooms with cottage cheese, parmesan, basil, zest and chicken.
- On a piece of baking paper lay out a piece of filo, brush with butter and top with another piece. Continue until all filo is used.
- Place filling on one third of the filo, lengthways. Brush the edges with butter. Fold in the ends. Roll so the sealed edge is underneath.
- Lift on to a baking tray. Brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.