Natural Bluff Oysters with Wasabi Tobikko and Granny Smith Apple Chardonnay Granita
( SERVES 2 )
For Bluff oyster season, if you're over au naturel, then try this recipe supplied by Clooney head chef Des Harris. Works well on other varieties of the bivalve too.
- 2:1 ratio of freshly juiced green apple to chardonnay vinegar (Forum brand is best, available from Sabato).
- Freeze the apples for a couple of hours to ensure they're cold. Pre-freezing apples helps juice retain greenness.
- Cut pieces off the core and put through an electric juicer.
- Allow to stand for 1 minute and skim off foam.
- Pass the juice and add the chardonnay vinegar, stirring to combine.
- Pour into a pre-chilled shallow tray & place in the freezer.
- Every hour run a dinner fork through the mix to create large granules, do this until the mix is frozen.
- To serve: top each oyster with a speck of wasabi caviar and freshly cracked pepper if desired.
- Serve granita to the side and accompany each oyster with a teaspoon of frozen granita.