Lemon and oregano-roasted tomatoes with kefalotyri
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
This recipe is perfect made with small vine-ripened tomatoes or seasonal outdoor varieties. London chef Maria Elia suggests a few variations, including adding sliced chilli and replacing the lemon zest with a little orange. Replace the oregano with rosemary or bay leaves or the fennel with coriander seeds. If kefalotyri or pecorino cheeses are unavailable, crumble over a little feta. This dish goes well with sauvignon blanc.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Place the tomatoes (still on the vine) in a single layer in a small roasting dish.
- Scatter over the fennel seeds, raisins, lemon zest and oregano, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast the tomatoes until they're just about to burst - about 20-35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, place on a serving platter and drizzle with olive oil and cooking juices.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper, then top with the cheese.