Good old english bread pudding with chocolate
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Stephen Goodenough
- Rip your bread into bite-sized pieces and put into a large bowl. Pour the milk into a jug and microwave it for about 30 seconds. You want it warm but not hot.
- Pop your finger in to test it (then just give it a quick lick – no one is looking).
- Sprinkle in the cocoa powder and mixed spice and give it a good stir. You now have aromatic chocolate milk.
- Pour this over the bread and mix well. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes so the bread can soak up all the lovely flavours.
- Preheat the oven to 175C. Take your butter and generously grease an ovenproof dish.
- The bread should now be quite swollen, sticky and wet, with all the milk absorbed. If you still have a little at the bottom of the bowl, pour it off.
- Now add the rest of your ingredients and combine well. You should be able to drop the mixture from a spoon without too much effort.
- Pour into the greased dish, spreading it out evenly. Dust the top with a little mo
- If your pudding is getting a little too brown before it’s cooked, cover it with foil.
- To serve: this can be served in large slabs as a dessert, with oodles of custard, or as a slice with a nice mug of Rosie Lee (tea).