Smoked trevally pikelets
( SERVES 6 )
|1||Kumara, large, peeled and grated|
|1 fillet||Trevally, large smoked|
|2||Courgettes, grated and strained|
|2||Red onions, finely diced|
|4 Tbsp||Mung bean sprouts, baby|
|6||Eggs, lightly beaten|
|4 Tbsp||Plain flour|
|1 Tbsp||Baking powder|
|½ cup||Vegetable oil|
|2||Lemons, freshly juiced|
|1||Fennel bulb, finely sliced|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 tsp||White sugar|
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl. Sift the flour and baking powder over the top. Mix to combine.
- Shallow fry large spoonfuls of the mix in a little vegetable oil until crispy and golden, then lay on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Put the pikelets in the hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the fennel in a bowl of cold water with the lemon juice. Leave to soak in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- In a small jar, combine olive oil, a little lemon juice and sugar for a vinaigrette and shake.
- Drain the fennel slices and mix in a bowl with pomegranate seeds and the vinaigrette.
- To serve, arrange the pikelets in stacks, top with the fennel salad, fennel fronds, toasted seed mix (below) and season with salt and pepper.
- For the seed mix, in a hot frying pan, toast all the seeds until fragrant. Remove from frying pan and set aside until ready to serve.