Spiced prawn skewers with mint and coriander aioli
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
These barbecue skewers of juicy, spicy prawns make a tasty party snack. They’re easy to handle and serve and people won’t get their fingers dirty.
Mint and coriander aioli
|1 tsp||Salt, fine|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh mint|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh coriander, fresh|
|½ tsp||Garlic, grated|
|2 tsp||White wine vinegar|
|150 ml||Grapeseed oil|
|½ tsp||Flaky sea salt|
- Make the aioli: In a small pot bring to the boil 1 litre of water.
- Add salt then herbs. Cook for 2 minutes, drain off liquid, then plunge herbs into a bowl of iced water to help preserve the colour.
- Squeeze out excess water, then place herbs in a blender with the garlic, egg yolk and vinegar.
- Blend this together, then slowly drizzle in the oil so it starts to emulsify.
- Continue adding all the oil and add sea salt to taste. If it’s too thick adjust the consistency by adding a little milk.
- Cut the underside or ‘belly’ of the prawns, so that it folds out as you thread it on the skewer.
- Thread 1 prawn on each
Note: The fresh mint and coriander aioli will keep in the fridge for a week and it’s sensational with pretty much anything cooked on the barbecue.