Fish finger butties
( SERVES 2 )
Photo by Tamara West
Make your own fresh, juicy fish fingers and serve them between thick slices of white bread.
|3 Tbsp||Egg mayonnaise, whole egg|
|1 tsp||Onion, minced|
|1 tsp||Capers, chopped|
|1||Gherkin, small, chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Parsley, or dill, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Breadcrumbs, fresh|
|2 Tbsp||Flour, seasoned with salt and pepper|
|300 g||White fish, fillets, cut in 2.5cm wide fingers|
|1 splash||Vegetable oil, for cooking|
|4 slices||White bread, firm|
|1 handful||Iceberg lettuce, leaves|
- Mix together mayo, onion, capers, gherkin and herbs.
- In a wide shallow dish mix together breadcrumbs and seasoned flour.
- Add fish fingers and press crumb mixture all over fish to coat
- Heat a thin layer of oil to medium-hot in a wide, heavy-based frying pan. Cook fish for 2 minutes each side or until just cooked through. Remove to kitchen paper-lined tray.
- Spread a little butter on 2 bread slices.
- Spread a generous amount of mayo mixture on the other 2 slices then arrange lettuce and tomato on top. Add fish fingers and place buttered bread on top.
- Cut each butty in half and serve immediately.