Mung bean and kale soup
This recipe by Ash was entered into Bite magazine's recent Vitamix blender competition.
Ash writes: Crammed with super foods, hearty and satisfying, this soup is our go-to winter staple. Cavolo nero is a striking and abundant plant through the seasons and will always have a place in my garden mostly because with it and a few pantry staples on hand I can easily whip this up for a crowd.
- Gently saute onions and garlic in oil without colouring.
- Add seeds and cook for a further minute.
- Add drained mung beans, turmeric, salt and pepper to taste and stock and simmer until onions and mung beans are thoroughly cooked.
- Transfer hot soup carefully to blender and pulse to desired consistency (I prefer the odd whole bean for texture).
- Return to pot and add lemon juice and kale and adjust seasoning and/or add a little water if texture is too thick. Gently heat until kale is wilted but retains a little bite and its flavour.